A PDF allows a reader to view an e-book in the same layout as a print copy of that book. This enables the reader to see the book in its original design, with diagrams, photos, illustrations, and text appearing exactly the same as in the print book. Conversely, an ePUB strays from the layout of the print book and allows the text to reflow based on the text size and font chosen by the reader. This enables a reader to reflow text in a way that more appropriately fits the screen size of their device.
Before you purchase an e-book, ensure that it is available in a format that is readable on your device. Review the following list to locate your device and the recommended format:
- Laptop or desktop computer: PDF or ePUB, where available
- iPad: PDF or ePUB, where available
- Nook: PDF or ePUB, where available
- Kobo Reader: PDF or ePUB, where available
- Other mobile device: ePUB, where available
When both formats are available, you can choose to download either, or both, the PDF and ePUB format.