Why choose the StarGuard program?
StarGuard provides pool, waterpark, and restricted waterfront lifeguards skills exceeding nationally recognized standards. The course is available in a blended format consisting of an online self-study course followed by an instructor-led water session and competency; however, instructors may choose to teach the entire course without use of the online option. The benefits of the StarGuard program are numerous:
- Individualized learning experience. Students can work through the online course at their own pace, allowing quicker learners to move more quickly, and allowing others to review material that they are having difficulty understanding.
- Value added packaging. The online course covers all of the key lifeguarding competencies and integrates all the necessary components of emergency care training. The course is complemented by two texts to further enhance the learning experience and provide students with materials they can review at any time.
- Savings of both time and money. The total amount of pool-time and instructor-time necessary for certification is reduced to 8 hours because students learn the cognitive aspects of lifeguarding via the online course before arriving on-site. Therefore, it costs less in facility operating expenses or rental and less in fees for instructors.
- Experiential approach to learning. Through the online course, students are asked to role-play situations that they might one day face on the job. This holistic approach to learining results in a deeper, more thorough understanding of the key concepts and an appreciation of the importance of doing the whole job well, not just parts of it.
- Convenient delivery of high quality instruction. Students can take the online course while at home, away at school, or during other free time. They no longer need to be in the same place at the same time to receive a consistent level of high quality instruction.
- Focus on professionalism and accountability. Being a lifeguard is a serious and important job. The StarGuard program focuses on behaviors that will help lifeguards be at their best and ready to take action in the event of an emergency.
- Dedicated customer support staff. Our team is ready to assist your facility with all your lifeguarding and aquatics programming needs. We are here to make the process as easy for you as possible.
The Best Practices for Lifeguards online course (the first component in the StarGuard blended learning experience) integrates basic lifeguard training and the four key emergency care competencies (first aid, CPR and AED at the professional rescuer level, bloodborne pathogens, and emergency oxygen) all in one highly interactive program. This course is complemented by two texts, Complete Emergency Care and StarGuard: Best Practices for Lifeguards, Third Edition. This is the only course to include all of these components, including emergency care, in one package. To insure mastery of the emergency care skills during the self-study component, this course is available with the Family & Friends CPR Anytime Kit from the American Heart Association. This kit includes a small, personal CPR manikin so that the student can practice hands-on skills during self-study.
The instructor-led component of the training follows the successful completion of the online course. Successful completion of the instructor-led component, which includes written and practical exams, earns certification.
To speak with our aquatics specialist, Sara Poe, please call 800-747-4457 x2349 or email SaraP@hkusa.com.