Active Living Every Day
12 weeks to a more active lifestyle
Despite the well-documented benefits of physical activity, including reduced risk of chronic disease, healthier weight, reduced stress, and higher energy levels, it can be difficult to convince people to add more physical activity to their lives. The recommended 150 minutes per week can seem daunting, especially to those who have been sedentary for most of their lives. Physical activity doesn’t have to be intimidating, though. With the Active Living Every Day program, you’ll have all the tools you need to empower people to make the small changes that can positively affect their health.
Based on the latest research, Active Living Every Day (ALED) is a step-by-step behavior change program that helps individuals overcome their barriers to physical activity. ALED offers alternatives to more traditional, structured exercise programs. Participants choose their own activities and create their own plans based on their lifestyle and personal preferences, focusing on moderate-intensity activities that can be easily added to their daily routines. The course text and online tools offer structure and support as participants explore their options and begin to realize how enjoyable physical activity can be. As participants work through the course, they learn lifestyle management skills and build on small successes, methods that have proven effective in producing lasting change.
The new Active Living Every Day text has been updated to reflect the latest research on physical activity and behavior change. We’ve also made several changes to the program based on feedback from participants and providers, which will make ALED more attractive to a wider variety of people:
- Shorter 12-week format. To better accommodate busy schedules, we’ve shortened the length of the program from 20 weeks to 12. Participants learn to set goals, overcome barriers, find activities they like, and experience successes—all within a more manageable time frame.
- More current research. We’ve included information on recent studies that prove the effectiveness of ALED’s behavior change strategies. Both participants and providers can rest assured that ALED isn’t just another trend. It’s an evidence-based program that’s been shown to work for people from all walks of life, from college students to older adults.
- Coverage of new federal physical activity guidelines. The updated text features an easy-to-understand explanation of the newest U.S. physical activity guidelines. Participants will learn what the guidelines mean, why they matter, and, most important, how small changes will help them meet the guidelines and improve their health.
- Real stories from participants. Throughout the book, Real Life sidebars offer insights from people who have used the program to meet their activity goals. Participants will learn realistic strategies from people who have faced similar challenges and succeeded in overcoming them.
- Wider variety of activities. To appeal to more potential participants, we’ve included information on strength training, flexibility, and vigorous activities in addition to the moderate-intensity and lifestyle physical activities covered in the first edition. Whether your participants have always been sedentary or used to be active and just need help to get started again, they’ll find suggestions to get them moving.
Why choose the Active Living Every Day program?
In addition to the many benefits for course participants, ALED offers program providers these benefits:
- Ready to implement. We provide everything you need to run a successful program. You’ll receive all the resources you need to get the program started, including lesson plans, PowerPoint slides, marketing tools, and consultative support. Course participants receive a text and access to online tools that enhance the weekly sessions.
- Proven effectiveness. ALED is based on scientifically tested methods. Multiple recent studies have shown that the program curriculum is effective in helping people increase their physical activity levels.
- Affordability. Our program offers a cost-effective alternative to creating your own materials. Discounts are available on purchases of 25 participant packages or more. Flexible delivery options. ALED can be offered as an in-person class, online, through one-on-one mentoring, or as a combination of these formats. These options will help you work around even the busiest schedules.
- Easy facilitator training. You don’t have to be a health care professional to be a program provider. Anyone interested in helping others improve their health can train to be a facilitator.
- Ongoing support. Our Web site offers tools for evaluating your program, and our staff is always available to answer questions. Our quarterly facilitator newsletter shares best practices, tips from current program providers, and the latest research in the fields of behavior change and physical activity.
For more information on implementing Active Living Partners programs, visit the Active Living Partners page.