The leading textbook for undergraduate exercise physiology courses, Physiology of Sport and Exercise, Fifth Edition, is now available as an enhanced e-book that includes 18 new full-color animations to supplement the text. The authors, all distinguished researchers and past presidents of the American College of Sports Medicine, combine their expertise to deliver superior technical content while maintaining the accessible, reader-friendly format that has made this textbook a favorite of instructors and students alike.
The enhanced fifth edition will provide students with an engaging learning experience. Photos, medical artwork, and illustrations throughout offer a higher level of detail and clarity to better illustrate how the body performs and responds to physical activity. These illustrations come to life with 18 full-color art animations, providing a dynamic new way to experience course material.
The enhanced fifth edition of Physiology of Sport and Exercise also features the updated content you will find in the print edition, based on the latest research in the field, including the following:
- A complete rewrite of the chapters on resistance training, including updated strength training principles based on the 2009 ACSM position stand and new sections on core strength, stability training, and high-intensity interval training (HIT)
- A full update and reorganization, based on instructors’ feedback, of the chapters on metabolism and hormonal control to aid students’ comprehension of these complex systems
- New content on lactic acid as a fuel source, muscle cramps, childhood obesity, substrate utilization and endocrine response to exercise, and vascular aging
- Updated coverage of central and peripheral cardiac functions, the female athlete triad, and the menstrual cycle
- New research on effects of physical activity on health, including the addition of international data on the incidence of cardiovascular disease and obesity
Physiology of Sport and Exercise, Fifth Edition (Enhanced), stands alone as the best, most comprehensive resource framing the latest research findings in a reader-friendly enhanced e-book format. This winning combination makes it easier—and more engaging—than ever for students to develop their understanding of the body’s marvelous abilities to perform various types and intensities of exercise and sport, to adapt to stressful situations, and to improve its physiological capacities.
View a sample of the new animations: