Seated Up-and-Down Leg March
Start and Finish Position
1. Good seated posture.
2. Hands in a comfortable position.
Upward and Downward Movement
3. Lift one foot off the floor.
4. Then put it back down.
5. Alternate legs (march).
6. Perform three to eight repetitions per leg.
Exercise and Safety Tips
• Lift legs only as high as comfortable while maintaining erect posture.
• Those with a hip fracture or replacement should avoid lifting the leg higher than a 90-degree angle at the hip joint in a seated or standing position.
Variations and Progression Options
• Easier: Start by lifting the legs slightly, keeping the toes on the floor. Slowly progress higher.
• Challenger: Move feet forward and backward while marching.
• Challenger (Combo): Swing arms while marching.
• In-between: Perform leg marching between other ROM exercises.
• Standing Up-and-Down Leg March (involves a brief one-legged stand).