Purpose: To give all players practice making sideline tackles. This is a good drill for punters and kickoff men.
- The ball carrier and the tackler begin 7 yards apart. The tackler is even with the coach 7 yards from the sideline. The ball carrier is 4 yards from the boundary (figure 1.4). Both players face the coach.
- The coach begins the drill by tossing the ball to the ball carrier. When he catches the ball, the ball carrier turns and faces up the field.
- As the ball is in the air, the tackler moves two steps forward and angles his body to the sideline, keeping his feet evenly spaced.
- The ball carrier moves upfield and cuts to the inside or goes straight ahead without faking.
- The tackler moves on the ball carrier and tries to tackle him. If he cannot tackle the ball carrier, he should at least try to push the ball carrier out of bounds.
- After the tackler successfully stops the ball carrier, the two players switch roles and perform the drill again.