Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko, PhD, is professor and head of the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. For the past 15 years he has focused on the effect of exercise and physical activity on sensory, motor, and cognitive functioning in old age. He also served on the World Health Organization’s Scientific Advisory Committee, which issued Guidelines for Physical Activity in Older Adults. Active Aging Today interviewed Chodzko-Zajko about his work and the importance of studying aging.
The interview covers the following questions:
- What research are you conducting now?
- Why are you conducting this research, and what are you hoping to accomplish?
- You work as professor and head of the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health at the University of Illinois. What has been your most important achievement there?
- What has been the biggest breakthrough in your career?
- Based on your experience, what is the most significant advancement in your field? Why?
- What excites you most about the future of the active aging field?