Bipolar disorder is a condition that includes episodes of abnormally elevated moods and bouts of depression. Mood stabilizers and medications are most often prescribed for patients who have bipolar disorder, but a healthy lifestyle is also important.
Here are nine healthy habits that can help people with bipolar disorder manage their condition:
- Take the prescribed medications.
- Exercise daily.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Avoid traveling into other time zones.
- Avoid more than one hour of variance in sleep time each night.
- Avoid alcohol and illegal drugs.
- Reduce stress in all areas of your life.
- During a manic episode, limit caffeine and nicotine.
- Watch for early signs and symptoms of depressive or manic episodes and seek treatment immediately.
For more information about healthy habits that can help people with bipolar disorder, read the entire article at http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306987,00.html.